I bet these jewels will woo your partner this Valentine’s Day!!!
Woo your partner this Valentine’s Day!
Celebrated in most of the countries across the globe, Valentine Day is an occasion that builds relations and brings the hearts closer. While love and bonding isn’t necessarily cherished only by couples but also is between father-daughter, mother-son, siblings and so on.
Jewelry Trends this Valentine’s,
When the occasion is about connecting hearts, a classic heart shaped jewelry – be it a pendant, earring, ring or bracelet will remain the essence of the occasion. Other than hearts in India classic rings and bands also do tend to sell well. While jewelry in yellow and rose gold is making a come back, there has been a significant rise in gifting of Platinum, 925 silver, Swarovski jewelry and fashion jewelry.
Says Sunayana Vora, VP – Sales, Tara Jewels Ltd, “Our collection Love Blossom features vibrant colors and motifs of the spring season, the collection offers jewelry in 14kt gold with colored stones namely rubies, sapphires, emeralds and red and white enamel perfect for every occasion.”
Adds Saurabh Gadgil, Chairman and Managing Director, PNG Jewellers Pvt Ltd, ”The trend this year is towards stylish fancy designs with color stones and diamonds. For Valentines people tend to like designs which signify the language of love and express feelings.”
In comparison from the previous year this year the design element seems to have gone up. As the years are passing by customers along with being price conscious have also become much more design, quality and finish conscious.
While men want to woo their lady, what about the gifting options for men’s? In India Platinum bands have made their way in a big way. Accessories like cufflinks, jeweled pens, leather and charm bracelets, fancy belt buckles make a great gift. Titanium and brass jewelry is seen making a rise in the jewelry market, especially among youngsters. Known jewelry houses have introduced a Titanium line of his and her jewelry.
“Last year, we had introduced Always & Forever collection which featured contemporary spinning bands in titanium studded with a sparkling diamond. Known for the metal’s durability and healing properties, the couple band reflect the everlasting nature of true love. Because of the contemporary style that the metal offers, both men and women appreciate the practicality of titanium jewelry.” elaborates Vora. She further adds, “We have observed that the infinity symbol along with heart shaped / motif jewelry has always been considered classic in all seasons. In the domestic market, we had launched Hearts Embrace, a collection in which a diamond is embraced in a heart shaped motif.”
Know your customer
On the jewelry that makes a mark on the occasion feels Saurabh, “Light weight price driven jewelry sells well with youngsters during valentines. For valentines, our clientele is primarily young people from 16- 30yrs. We do also have some heavy Jewelry buying from some senior age group people but that’s a small percentage. Generally prices below INR 25000 work well” On aesthetics v/s price point playing an important role, further adds Gadgil,”For valentines both play an important role, budget is fixed and the customer demands a stylish design in the same.”
India v/s International Markets
In my opinion the celebration of Valentine’s Day is still at a nascent stage in India, prevalent mostly in cities and towns exposed to popular world culture. The international market is a mature market and jewelry retailers give significant importance to this occasion.
Internationally other than the heart, the infinity symbol is still going strong. Classic stackable rings, arrows, cupid with arrow, charms tend to sell well.
With Pantone’s prediction of the color Rose Quartz on the rise, it comes as no surprise that pink and red gemstones are hotter than ever! Think different, opt for gemstone jewelry featuring Morganite, Pink Sapphire, Rose Quartz, Ruby or Tourmaline for a pretty and chic gift.
Jewelry Purchase, an experience!
As much as every jeweler is focusing on the pricing, product, finesse of the jewelry, many tend to over look the visual merchandising of the product.
Are our roles only limited to designing or manufacturing the jewelry? How many of us pay attention to the product display, branding, presentation and packaging of the jewelry? May be a handful?
Imagine walking into a store with your loved one that has mood lighting, lemongrass aroma, soothing music, minimal but well decorated e.g. red balloons or message cards suspended from the ceiling, beautifully displayed jewelry that speaks and is a story in itself. v/s a showcase or window display with cluttered jewelry, random jewelry mixed with each other, tacky tags hanging around and you feel claustrophobic while being in the store. Which one would you pick of the two?
In my opinion it’s not always about the product but also an experience. Jewelry in India holds emotional value and is all about feelings, Especially on Valentines, then why not make it a memorable experience?
Tips for Jewelry display and packaging.
- Work on a theme – Try working on a theme, not necessary it has to be only for Valentine or on Valentines Day but in general the store should be thematic and the merchandise should form a story, collections. Avoid making the store over colorful just cause its Valentine and its all about going Red.
- Do not clutter jewelry – The more the merrier! Well if we thought that works in jewelry display, we are mistaken. A window or showcase with jewelry that has appropriate spacing looks attractive and is eye catching.
- Jewelry on different levels – Jewelry placed on props that are placed in appropriate leveling (hi and low) creates a little drama makes the merchandise look elegant.
- Add collection cards – We like being called by our name, don’t we? Then why not the jewelry we sell? It’s suggested to create small placards that highlight the collections.
- Collections – A showcase or window display doesn’t have to have red color or red color stone jewelry right into the face. Similar looking jewelry or jewelry that’s form a collection should be differentiated from the regular jewelry in the store.
- Eye Appeal – Some jewelry products have more eye appeal due to design, style, or materials used. These products attract more shopper attention and often draw the customer’s attention to walk into the store. Look for that one eye catching piece which highlights the display.
- Attractive packaging – How often does it strike us that the product is attractive but an attractive packaging or display is all it takes. Sometimes packaging showcased also makes the jewelry look attractive. That doesn’t mean the more expensive the box will be, the more attractive it will look. A subtle and sleek box looks classic.
- Message cards – If the budgets permit you do try adding a personalised message card when a customer buys jewelry. It makes it a memorable experience than just another purchase.
Highlights Jasleen Manrao, Studio Head at Figments.inc, “For packaging, as an example the amount of red, the size and graphic representation of hearts / roses / bonding / love can be controlled. To be specific, for younger target group, it can be all out, in our face. For a more mature representation, an embossed icon, somber metallic color and a rouge ribbon can do the trick. Likewise, principally the same rule applies to the display. However, since this is an event/promotion-based display, this should be an attention seeking pause-point in the customer journey. In case a front window is planned for the display, red should be prominent. In case the scale of the jewelry is small, the pieces are small; the color of the background and the props should be attention worthy, in this case, red. Percentage of red, however, should be limited to important touch points and regular counters should carry an icon or a pointer indicating or guiding towards the start display.”
Adds Saurabh, “Packaging is very imp for gifting especially during Valentines, it must be in sync with the product, should be stylish and there maybe scope for personalizing it. Likewise display must be sleek, it should evoke the feelings in a customer’s mind without being flashy.”
In my opinion, most of us know and are aware that jewelry is not always about the product but also holds an emotional connect followed by the experience or vice versa. Making a customer feel special and making it a memorable experience is an art in itself, which needs constant improvising. And that’s what we are looking for, aren’t we?