Watch, Women and Complications!
Barely has time ticked from the wining and dining of 2016 stepping in while we spend a pleasant evening with the watch aficionados of the city.
Art of Time, a luxurious watch boutique launched its flagship store in a plush suburb of Mumbai. Creme de la creme of the city were present with Amitabh and Jaya Bachchan inaugurating the store.
Among the array of watches following are a few that caught my attention. Mihir Sheth, the store manager was polite and helped me around the store. However i did feel they should have few more options in women wristwatches and couple watches.
Like always their creations leave me speechless! Panerai by far has only men’s watches (some being unisex) but who cares! We women match up to men in every aspect, even if it’s sporting a men’s watch ahem ahem.
Pam 574’s Green Alligator leather strap takes the cake. For that dapper look and sport something unusual one should opt for this. Mechanical, automatic this is a class apart. From 1000 pieces made in the world, this one is 416. Don’t you think Panerai should introduce a women’s line ?
His and Hers, Cle De Cartier
Launched 2 months ago, is the women’s Cle de Cartier, a new creation manufactured in 18kt solid rose gold with pave case in brilliant cut 0.54 cts of VS clarity diamonds. It has a self winding mechanical movement and power reserve up to 38hrs. The key set with a sapphire. Flinque dial with sunray finish, blued steel sword-shaped hands and sapphire crystal. The crown is reinvented, becoming a key and bringing a new gesture to the world of watchmaking.
Paired with the women’s watch, the men’s offer two options. i.e. one with round brilliant cut diamonds in VS clarity and other without. “U so cle” means key. Manufacture self-winding mechanical movement, caliber 1847 MC. 18K pink gold case.
Cartier – Baignoire
Having a jewelry background, jewelled watches usually draw my attention, especially when it’s from a leading jewellery house. For the watch collectors with “mucho dinero” Cartier Baignoire will take your breath away. Adorn this beauty and and let her do the talking. The larger model has a mechanical movement with manual winding caliber 430 MC. Manufactured in 18kt rhodiumized white gold case set with 149 brilliant-cut diamonds and 12-sided crown set with a brilliant-cut diamond, totalling 1.44 cts. Silvered flinqué dial, blued-steel sword-shaped hands, sapphire crystal. Among their various collections, Baignoire is one of the most expensive watch showcased in the boutique.
Now that’s one brand that keeps me drooling at every timepiece they design. Likewise couldn’t get my eyes off the IWC Portuguese perpetual calendar with double moon phase display. 7 day automatic movement and power reserve display. What’s interesting is in a double moon phase one can see different phases i.e. from the southern and northern hemisphere. Manufactured in 18kt solid gold styled in a black alligator luxurious Santoni strap. For all you watch collectors this is the last piece among the 250 pieces manufacture i.e. a boutique edition specially made for Art of Time and will not be available at a retail watch store.
Must look at the caseback,
This is that one watch maker who makes complications look simple. Jaeger-LeCoultre (JLC) UTT – unique travel time is a masterpiece where different time zones can be adjusted in the difference of a minute. Crafted in rose gold and brown croc leather, it has two individual power reserve, displays the word time and has a double brain with two individual movements that are hand wound.
A timepiece which will keep heads turning is the JLC Reverso. Fine crafted in 18kt rose gold with VS clarity round brilliant cut diamonds. Jeweled mother of pearl (MOP) on one side and a classic dial on the other, it’s attached to a beautiful black croc leather.
What one must look for is the dual use of this timepiece. Carry it semi-formal and in flip of a second you adorn a formal look.
Style Prer suggest: be it an entry level, mid-range or hi-end luxury watch it’s essential to watch-out for a few tips before you consider a purchase.
- A watch crystal is the transparent cover on face of the watch. Between sapphire and mineral crystal, it’s suggested to opt for a sapphire crystal. The better the watch, the thicker the sapphire crystal will be and less likely to break.
- There are two kinds of customers. One who wants to make a purchase just cause the watch is appealing. While the other on how well a watch functions as a timepiece. Just cause a fashion label or fashionista can make good clothes, not necessarily they have the forte to make good watches. It’s suggested to make the effort in knowing your preference – you want a timepiece or a fashion watch?
- Ask questions or check details on the functionalities of the watch and how useful it will be to you? It’s suggested to pick these from an authorised dealer.
- It could be a men’s watch, but did someone set a rule women cannot wear men’s watch ? Well if it sits properly on your wrist, suits your pocket, know enough of the mechanism, complications and makes you feel good, take the plunge! Not kidding you, many of the watches from my personal collection are men’s or unisex. It’s like a woman liking sports car or suv’s. The feel is manly but we still drive them cause we like it and feel comfortable.
- When considering a hi-end luxury watch there may be many factors considered, one of them being how long it took to make the watch? It’s always good to ask the watch retailer, “how long does it take to make this watch?” In general they would be knowing the answer and will make you feel proud even if it’s months or days.
Having a foray into the world of horology hope the above has led you to realize a few things.
A shout to the women, we know you love your handbags but time is much more precious and valuable.